Tuesday, October 5, 2010

We do not want another Ondoy, do we?

Who ever thought that spam mails are annoying and useless? I do. But once in a while, you get something meaningful. Like this:
"This is the true joy in life - being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; being a force of nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy."   ~George Bernard Shaw
Wala lang, I just wanted to share it because I think it captures the essence of what I have been doing in my life for the past, ehm, what couple of MONTHS. I am quite pleased with how I devote my time in things I like doing. Yesterday, I had a brief chat with my friend Rein and he gladly informed me that he was accepted as a participant to the Youth Coalition for Sexual and Reproductive Rights and  National Development Plan of the Philippines. Whew, that was a mouthful. Stories like that never fail to make my heart swell especially from people I know. What struck me the most was his sincerity when he told me that those were the things he would like to do for the country. I am inspired by people who have unwavering dedication to make the Philippines, my country, a great nation AGAIN. 

Its doable and I believe in the perpetual optimism of a lot of Filipinos that we can achieve it if we act upon it. Gone were the days when I tell people that this country will never wake up from its deep slumber, or at least  not in my [our] lifetime. So, my mantra from now on, DO WHAT YOU CAN. As Sydney Smith aptly puts it It is the greatest of all mistakes to do nothing because you think you can only do little - do what you can. PAK! Sabi nga ni Angelica Panganiban, achib na achib! Ang sabi ko naman, achib lang ng achib!
___________________________
So while I was busy sending important emails in line with Philippine Youth Climate Movement's fundraising campaign for the COP 16, I received an email from a certain Sonia Yeow from Malaysia. Here it goes:

Hello Karl, I got your info from Adrian Yeo.

I'm currently working for an interesting project in relation to UNFCCC and COP16, Global Visual Petition Project for Climate Justice at COP16. We plan to gather signatures to our manifesto (on our website www.ItsOneHumanity.org in 54 languages), collect messages from people to their leaders and the international community as a whole, to take that and to bring it to COP16 at the beginning of the negotiations, distributing reports on the project (maps, numbers, quotes) to each UN nation state delegation.


We're currently building small teams around the world by region to help us spread the word about it to NGOs, youth groups and to local people through social media and what not. We need an Ambassador Leader for the Philippines. I talked to Adrian and he pointed out your name saying you would be a great pick for the position.

Any chance you'd want to work with us? Let me know!

Regards,
Sonia Yeow
My heart almost jumped out of my chest in excitement, not only because of the opportunity to work with ItsOneHumanity but also because of two reasons. First, I know this project very well as it was conceptualized and initiated by fellow One Young World  Ambassadors Elliott Verreault and Gerardo Mendoza from Canada and Mexico respectively. I was even the one who translated the Global petition to Filipino early this year. And second, I am amazed how connected people are and the connection gets more meaningful and exciting when its for a cause. Just three weeks ago, I had a meeting with a brilliant environmental activist from Malaysia named Adrian Yeo and by some stroke of coincidence, he referred me to Sonia to be the country's Ambassador for the initiative. Again, how can you say no if its for the environment. And so this was my response: 

Hey Sonia,

How are you? I hope you are doing really well. I dont even know where to start since I am pleasantly surprised by this email.
I have met Adrian here in the Philippines and he is one great person. I wish to see him again soon, maybe in Cancun this year.
And let me pull the biggest surprise. I have been supporting IOH from the very beginning. Matter of fact, I was the one who translated the petition in Filipino as requested by my good friend Elliott who founded this project. Yes, I know Elliott as well as Keyun, Gerardo, Aditi, and the other One Young World Ambassadors. We have met in London during the summit.
And yes, I would gladly be the Ambassador Leader for the Philippines. Right now, I am serving as the Ambassador Leader for the Global Health Impact Area of One Young World and the Finance and Fundraising Director of Philippine Youth Climate Movement. As of the moment, we are trying to raise funds for the Philippine delegation to send ourselves in the COP16. Did Adrian mention that to you? I think it would be interesting if we can tie-up since we are on the same mission anyway.

Just a quick question, where are you from? Are you from Malaysia? And were you in One Young World as well? Are they coming to Cancun?

Hope to hear from you soon.
I could not contain my excitement that I had to make it as my status.

ItsOneHumanity's Global visual petition project urges world leaders to achieve a fair, ambitious and legally-binding climate deal at UNFCCC happening this November in Cancun, Mexico. ItsOneHumanity exists to voice the reality that we are all part of this one great family called Humanity and to urge all to recognize that we have a responsibility to act, united, on global issues for the better of humanity as a whole.


Now, what we want to ask from people is that they sign the petition found in this link: Global Visual Petition Project. I have already signed the petition, will you?

Sign the petition now.






 


No comments:

Post a Comment