Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Desert Flower

In 2009, I went to Malaysia as a Development Trainee under an international organization called AIESEC. I volunteered in a shelter for abandoned and neglected Indian children called Rumah Shalom. Up to this day, I still consider that the turning point of my life as a development worker. 

One scorching afternoon, after having vegetable curry and papadam for lunch, I randomly picked one of the Reader's Digest magazines sitting on one of those burgundy shelves near the study. It was dated June 1999. 

The face of a Desert Flower
I was captivated by the woman in the cover. Her face, undeniably beautiful, radiated with an aura of an empowered woman. I started to flip the pages and was immediately drawn to her story. It was one of those stories that you know you will never forget and can tell everyone in a heartbeat. I was moved and more importantly, inspired. 

Two years later, I was sitting on the floor amongst thousands of young people from the world over. I saw Waris Dirie for the first time. It was surreal. It was one of those moments when you try to reconcile bleakness and reality and you get consumed, so much so that all you can do is stare blankly at the object of utmost interest. 

From my bed in Malaysia to the floors of Switzerland, two years have gone but the feeling is the same. Incredibly the same. 

Waris during the Environment Plenary of One Young World, Zurich Switzerland

I think I have amply expressed my admiration for this woman. I mean, who wouldn't? So when that moment came, it was sheer madness. 

I was waiting for my turn to open the plenary on Global Health backstage when I saw her pass by. My response was quick. I walked up to her and told her that she is one of my personal heroes. I requested to have a photo taken with her.

One of the highlights of my trip to Switzerland

As soon as I arrived at the hotel, I downloaded her biopic, Desert Flower. I watched it during my layover in Qatar. I even purchased her book of the same title.



I dont know when I will see her next, our brief encounter in Zurich maybe our first and last but it was surely worth it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment